Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Next Level

[The following is and excerpt from The Next Level by Eric Stapleton]

STEVE: It’s like this. This yahoo with the gloom and doom message sees things from a skewed point of view as if there is only one way to understand truth and that he has the corner on it. There are lots of truths out there and many different points of view. It all comes down to preferences. Some people like to go to church on Sundays while others like to fishing. Some people like coffee and others like tea. And those are all well and good. But they aren’t right or wrong.

KIRK: So what you are saying is that we determine for ourselves what is right or wrong. I find that philosophy very useful.

STEVE: Exactly. You know my friend, I think that you are having an epiphany. What’s not ‘fashionable’ if you will, in the moral sense, today, may change in a few years. You see, we’re all evolving to the next level where we will be free of the shackles of oppressive absolutism.

KIRK: Well, I must be going. Boy all this really lifts a weight off of my mind. I was beginning to think that some of my choices in life were wrong.

STEVE: There are no wrong choices! Be free and at ease my friend!

KIRK: I really must be going. May I have your wallet please?

STEVE: (taken aback) No, you may not.

KIRK: I insist (pulls out a revolver or does the finger in coat pocket routine).

STEVE: B-b-but that’s wrong.

KIRK: Says who? Gimme your wallet.

STEVE: It’s against the law. (handing over wallet) It’s against the common good.

KIRK: Maybe in a few years it won’t be. Maybe I’m already at the next level.

© 2002 Eric Stapleton, All rights reserved
[The preceding is an excerpt from The Next Level by Eric Stapleton]

No comments: