Tuesday, October 31, 2006

The Building Project

Wife: The sky? Water is going to come from the sky!? Honey, water doesn’t come from the sky, it comes from the ground like has for hundreds of years.

Noah: Things are going to change.

Wife: (Starts to exit) Just make sure that this “flood thing” is done before supper.

Noah: My love, look at me. I’m building an ark. God is going to bring a flood. He’s going to wipe everything off the face of the earth and start from scratch. We get to be a part of that.

Wife: How?

Noah: We’re going to be on the ark. We’re going to live on the ark until all the water goes away. We get to be the ones who start over.

Wife: How long is this going to take?

Noah: I don’t know.

Wife: Where will we live?

Noah: On the ark until it’s over. After that, I don’t know.

Wife: What about our neighbors?

Noah: That’s why I’m building this ark. Everyone can see it. They’ll come by and ask what I’m doing and I’ll tell them I’m building an ark. I’ll invite them to come with us and when they ask why they should want to come with us, I’ll simply tell them about the flood.

Wife: And they’ll simply lock you up in the booby hatch! Where are you getting the money to pay for all this?

Noah: I’m borrowing it. I got a loan.

Wife: That’s going to be a lot of interest to be paying. It’s going to take a long time to build this.

Noah: It’s not like it’s going to take a hundred years to build it. Besides, they told me I could pay it back after the flood. (he laughs)

Wife: Where will we get wives for our sons? What about our future?

Noah: I don’t know. I just know that God is leading us into a future that we can’t see yet.

Copyright 2006 Eric Stapleton. All rights reserved.
This is an excerpt from the play The Building Project

No comments: