Sunday, October 15, 2006

Excerpts from a Doll's Life

GIRL: I love you. You are my favorite dolly in the whole world! When we get home we’re going to have tea and then I am going to tuck you in to bed for your afternoon nap. You are my favorite dolly in the whole world and I am never never ever going to get rid of you.

DADDY: Honey, I got a surprise for you!

GIRL: What is it, daddy? (puts doll to the side)

DADDY: Well, I’ve thinking. You’re a big girl now and I think that it is time for you to have a big girl surprise!

GIRL: (jumping up and down) What is it, daddy? What is it?

DADDY: I got you your very own purse just like mommy!

GIRL: Oh daddy! It’s just what I’ve wanted! I’ll never never ever get rid of this.

DADDY: Well, let’s go home and show mommy.

GIRL: OK. (both exit)

GIRLFRIEND: (coming to sit on the bench) We have so got to see that movie again. Omigosh! That was so good.

BOYFRIEND: Maybe. There was too much kissy kissy boy meets girl, boy loses girl romantic stuff in it. I like the chase scenes and when that guy’s head exploded, that was so sweet!

GIRLFRIEND: Gross! See, I don’t think that needed to be in the movie at all. I don’t see why that gory stuff has to be in a love story!

BOYFRIEND: It wasn’t a love story! It was an action film! You don’t name a love story Death Chasers Part Four! Arnold Schwarzeneggar is not a romantic movie star, he—(sees that GIRFRIEND is getting sad) Baby, what’s wrong?

GIRLFRIEND: (sobbing) You don’t love me anymore!

BOYFRIEND: Sure I do!

GIRLFRIEND: No, you don’t. You’d rather take me to see an action film than a love story. What? Do you want to see my head explode?

BOYFRIEND: I think it is.

GIRFRIEND: What?!?

BOYFRIEND: Honey, I can be romantic, really I can.

GIRFRIEND: No you can’t. You never get me any gifts or buy me flowers like Arnold did for the girl in the movie.

BOYFRIEND: The girl in the movie was a spy and tried to kill him later on.

GIRLFRIEND: See what I mean, you think that I’m a monster! (starts to exit)

BOYFRIEND: Wait honey. I did get you a gift. Here, I got you this doll!

GIRFRIEND: No you didn’t. Some kid left that on the bench. That’s a used toy, I don’t want that old thing. (exits, followed by BOYFRIEND)

BOYFRIEND: Honey!

MASCOT: Never have to miss a call again when you sign up with Discount Wireless. Everybody needs a cell phone. Doesn’t anyone want a take advantage of this once in a lifetime offer? Anyone? If you sign up now, you’ll even get 23 free weekend minutes! I feel like such a loser. C’mon, anybody? I’ll even throw in this doll as a bonus. Anyone? Anyone? Oh, man, I’m such loser. (tries to sit down on bench, but can’t because his costume makes it awkward; looks over at doll) So, I guess no one wants you either. Hey, I’m stuck. I can’t get up. (GIRLFRIEND and BOYFRIEND walk by. BOYFRIEND is still trying to reason with GIRLFRIEND) Hey! You guys look like you need a cell phone. Hey! Wait up! (manages to get up and follow everybody else)

JANITOR: (enters with a push broom and humming tune) Ah, silly kids, leaving their toys behind! What am I going to do with this? It’s just a worthless old doll. No good anymore. Who would ever want this? Well, there is only one good place for worthless items…the trash. (starts to puts doll in trash)

DOLL MAKER: What are you doing?

JANITOR: I’m putting this old doll in the trash where it belongs.

DOLLMAKER: Don’t be absurd! That doll was created to be loved and adored.

JANITOR: What do you care?

DOLLMAKER: My card. Christopher H. Howard, designer of toys, dolls and other delights. The bringer of smiles, and the maker of dreams. (presents card)

JANITOR: (reading) Hmm. You designed this doll?

DOLLMAKER: Why yes! Yes, of course! (starts to ‘clean up doll’)

JANITOR: Well, it’s seen better days. Hardly much use of anything now.

DOLLMAKER: Nonsense! This doll has not yet begun to shine! Nobody, has thus far been able to care for it properly. Watch this! (DOLLMAKER touches back of doll and DOLL begins to dance around)

JANITOR: Wow! You know, I’d really like to take that home to my daughter. It would make a great toy.

DOLLMAKER: I won’t have it. This doll is far too valuable to be anybody’s mere toy. I designed it special. I put love into it. This doll is mine and I shall be the one to care for it from now on. (DOLL and DOLLMAKER exit)

Copyright 2006 by Eric Stapleton. All rights reserved.

[This is an excerpt from Excerpts from a Doll's Life by Eric Stapleton]

No comments: