Friday, November 10, 2006

The Napkin Man

DENNY'S -- MORNING

FUMI is sitting at the table with his coffee. The WAITER and the COOK are standing off to the side.

WAITER

Oh, it's him again.

COOK

The weeper?

WAITER

Yeah, he just comes in here and cries into his coffee. I go through half a package of napkins a night on this guy.

COOK

Why?

WAITER

He cries into the napkins, blubbering that that he's lost his way or something. He's been used up. He says God is done with him.

COOK

Well, it looks like he brought something to read today.

WAITER

That would be his Bible. He pours over it looking for a clue.

COOK

Does he tip good?

WAITER

WELL. Does he tip WELL?

COOK

I don't know, I'm asking you.

WAITER

Nevermind. OK, I guess, but it's depressing. The poor Japanese guy thinks he wants to be a pastor but he doesn't have a church.

COOK

I didn't even know Japan had churches. I thought they were all Hindu.

WAITER

Buddhist.

COOK

Same dif.

WAITER

Anyway, he came here to Hawaii to be refreshed. He thought maybe the sunshine and the beauty of this place would refresh his heart.

COOK

Did it work?

WAITER

No.

COOK

Speaking of refreshing, he looks like he needs his coffee topped off. Better bring some extra napkins.

WAITER crosses to FUMI. He sets down the napkins and starts to pour the coffee, but FUMI stops his hand and looks up at him with a smiling face.

FUMI

I won't need your paper towels today. I found my way.

WAITER

Really? In there?

FUMI

No, in here.

(points to his heart)

WAITER

I see.

(rolls his eyes)

FUMI

God hasn't given up on me. I was reminded by the stones.

WAITER

Oh, yeah, I listened to The Rolling Stones, also. I also smoked some pretty serious--

FUMI

(standing)

No, the boundary stones. I needed to look back at the boundary stones I've placed in my life to memorialize what God has done.

WAITER

Yeah.

(starts to back away)

I've gotta another customer to get to.

FUMI

God hasn't given up on me! God hasn't given up on me! He told me so! He has a plan and a vision for my life.

(quickly gathers his belonging from the table and exits the restaurant)

WAITER blows through his lips and rolls his eyes. COOK crosses over to WAITER.

COOK

He seemed excited.

WAITER

Nutso, that one.

COOK

Why do you say so?

WAITER

Acting like that in a Denny's at four in the morning.

COOK

How would you act if you received a vision from God?

No comments: