Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Crazy Viv

INT. BASEMENT -- DAY

LIGHTS UP

THIS IS A MUSTY BASEMENT BUT IT IS WELL STOCKED WITH FOOD AND PROVISIONS. DOLAN SITS WITH SOME FOOD SUPPLIES AROUND HIM AND STACKS OF BRICKS. THERE IS A FRESHLY BUILT (BUT NOT COMPLETED) BRICK WALL SURROUNDING HIM THREE QUARTERS OF THE WAY. HIS HANDS ARE ICKY WITH WET CEMENT (MORTAR). HE IS SITTING.

DOLAN
Have you ever heard of Crazy Viv?
(pause for response)
Oh, yeah, well she used to live in the corner apartment. I'm surprised you haven't heard of her. Basketcase. Of course you don't live around here probably. Well, anyway one night we hear this screaming outside. This old battle-axe comes running out of her apartment buck naked screaming, "You can't leave me, you can't leave me!" She didn't even care about who was watching.
(pause for question)
Some guy of course. It's always some guy when a woman acts that crazy. I think there was a revolving door for an entrance to her apartment.
(pause for question)
It's just an expression. I mean this lady obviously had a serious case of the stupids. I don't know for sure how many guys went in and out of her door, but anyone whose willing to do something that nuts over a guy, there's something wrong up there you know. I'll bet she had that cosmic clutch thing going on there.
(pause for question)
Cosmic clutch? That's when a person clings so tight onto another emotionally that it's suffocating. It's pathetic.
(puts another brick on the wall)
That's weakness. I don't want to be no Joey Bagalucci.
(pause for question)
He was my boy. We used to hang together, you know. He met some chick though. I mean thas cool, ya know. But she was just after his money an all though. Yeah, six months later she's not returning his phone calls. Gets herself some TV producer new boyfriend guy. Poor Joey thought he was in love with her. Six months? He got all stupid over a chick in six months?
(puts another brick in the wall)

DOLAN continues to lay bricks as if no one else is in the room. He seems to be thinking about something.

DOLAN CONT’D
Oh. Sorry, just trying to get this done here. Joey, well, he jumped off the bridge a few months back.
(pause)
Yeah, well, you know. I got other friends. That's just the way it goes though, people come in and out of your life. The idea is you can't hold on too tightly because sooner or later they're going to say goodbye. Or not say goodbye. Who wants to be remembered like Crazy Viv anyways? Runnin' after some guy or girl because they broke your heart. Who needs it? Not me. I got all I need right here. Got my cable TV, supplies, a toilet back there, and I can even call you when I want a pizza.
(pause for response)
Married? Once upon a time, yeah, I was married. I was young and foolish. I've grown wiser with age though. Speaking of pizza, how much do I owe you there?
(pause while DOLAN gets cash out of pocket)
Here you go. Keep the change. Yeah, I'm sure I'll call you again, but not because I'm lonely. I got everything I need right here. Hey, can you hand me another brick before you leave?

Dolan freezes in position while . . .

LIGHTS FADE OUT

No comments: